Friday, December 3, 2010

WOODY ALLEN

Woody Allen has to be my all-time second favourite weirdo (after MJ of course). However, it is not his bizarre step-daugher-issues personal life I am interested in but rather his film legacy. Over the years, Allen has mastered the neurotic, nervous hero character, that quintessential Jewish wit, and the charming romantic-comedies with a Lubitsch-touch. At the age of 75, he is still churning out his annual films, and has cast another blonde starlet, Scarlett Johansson, as his latest muse (a title formerly held by Diane Keaton and Mia Farrow). I personally prefer his older films, and have narrowed my favourites down to three.


Diane Keaton started a major fashion trend in Annie Hall
with her masculine-inspired outfits





Annie Hall opening monologue by Allen addressing the camera:
"I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member"


Broadway Danny Rose








The Purple Rose of Cairo





1 comment:

  1. He must have been quoting Groucho Marx: I sent the club a wire stating, "PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER".

    ReplyDelete